Wednesday, September 29, 2010

on renouncing the self

well, there's a tough one. "renounce" sounds very final. surely we do ourselves no favors by speaking in such absolute terms--it can be so very daunting.

john 3:30 says that God must become greater and I must become less.

those in contemporary christian circles like to throw around the word "journey" quite a bit. it carries an air of holistic and sustainable growth (there are some more buzz words for you). sometimes I think it's overused. but alas, it's so suiting. and surely, if patience is a virtue (and more meaningfully, a fruit of the spirit) than God has it in unimaginable abundance.

honestly though, I decided to write another little entry to express my exhaustion with myself--with negotiating the expectations of others (of friends, of men, of family) and of pouring so much time, energy and money into curating my own condition.

but I should not throw up my hands in exasperation and write it all off as something negative, to be taken care of and swiftly remedied. some delineating is in order: the weight of others' interests is not necessarily a bad thing, especially when others those others are folks I care about--or should. to slough off those connections would be reckless, and wrong.

still working it out.

1 comment:

  1. you should listen to mewithoutYou's song Cattail Down.

    ReplyDelete